At home that evening as I was about to start my experiment with the toner powder, one of the BFA students who was a printmaker, came for a visit. I explained my theory as we proceeded to the print studio. I quickly discovered that toner cannot be easily wet with plain water, but as a practicing photographer, I had Kodak Photo-Flo available, which did the trick. We applied a wash to a small plate and manipulated it without fear of contaminating the surface, as I knew the plastic contained no grease. When the water evaporated, I understood the plastic would have to be bonded to the metal by some means, and since Xerox copiers used heat, I went to find my paint-stripping heat gun. Within a few seconds the toner was adhered to the plate; gum etch was applied and the first attempt to print a toner wash was at hand. The leather roller produced a nice wash image, which was printed out on newsprint to our amazement. What I didn't like was the embossing from the relief produced by the solid toner particles where they were built up in the darker area. Just like in Xerox transfers, it was a simple matter to washout the toner and replace it with asphaltum. The toner wash process had just been discovered!